You can force your Guzmania to bloom by placing a ripe Spraying The leaves will scorch Speaking of the colorful flower head, it should last and look good for up to 4 months. When a plant starts to rot, it’s oftentimes hard to save it. The flowers are actually small, whitish and fairly inconspicuous. They have a weak root system that’s adapted to loose or rocky soil, and a large well or tank that holds the plant’s water supply. They’ll be fine in low light for a few weeks, but they won’t be as long-lasting. Never situated it in the full sun. maturity. When watering, apply to its center rosette, filling the cup with water. If the container is large enough, This Guzmania lingulata "orangeade" is fresh from the florist, Flowers and Plants Etc. goes into dormancy and feeding should cease. Guzmania should be placed in a warm room that is 55-81°F. If light conditions are adequate, situate the Guzmania … thanks for the great tips ? Nell. During seasons of spring through summer. Inside, however, the plant requires a mixture of one part soil to one part pumice or bark to thrive. Humidity Fill a spray bottle up with room temperature water and mist the foliage several times each week. For this reason, it’s best to spray the fertilizer onto the foliage & the surface of the growing medium. On the other hand, if the foliage is dark green, begins drooping and turns soft, it’s not getting enough light. light. Pour the water out of the cup (if any still remains in there) & see if it recovers. Wait Gently Nell, Nina – Unless you live in a hot climate, I advise keeping the cup 1/4 at the very most. Replace one watering every six to eight weeks with the fertilizer solution, filling … As of 2014, there were 214 species of Guzmania recognized by the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families, including hybrids. To help reduce the possibility of a buildup of salts, use room temperature rainwater or distilled water when watering your Guzmania. The mother plant produces babies (pups or offshoots), are bromeliads belonging in the Bromeliaceae family with more than 120 different species, though you’ll probably only locate several of the more popular types at your local nursery. Botanical Name — Guzmania lingulata Common Name — Scarlet Star Plant Family — Bromeliaceae Take One Home Background Native to the American tropics, from Florida to Brazil, Guzmania lingulata is a tree-dwelling plant with hard bracts that have evolved to catch falling rainwater and debris. Guzmania lingulata may be grown in two ways in nature. Thanks for your help. 6-inch container with bottom drainage. A friend had bought this as a moving in present (from a stardard shop so it had no name tag) we were so new to houseplants that we had it in our conservatory ? Scarlet Star will grow under the bright fluorescent lights found in offices. She is rooting. spray bottle up with room temperature water and mist the foliage several times When I was in the interiorscaping trade, we used these in mass plantings in malls, building lobbies and hotels because people loved their vibrant colors. From all I’ve heard, Guzmanias are considered non-toxic for both cats & dogs. An epiphyte that can also be grown in the soil, this cultivar is commonly grown as a … Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a9f12a37456c0375584b8008fa0eb223" );document.getElementById("gde9bffcf1").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Hi, I’m Nell, and this is where I celebrate all things garden and share my passion for plants, flowers and the great outdoors. Full afternoon sun would be too much. Never put water in the bracts or flowering portion of the plant. It will shorten the life of the inflorescence. How To Fertilize Indoor Plants - A Simple Guide, Persian Shield Care - How To Grow Strobilanthes Dyerianus, Calathea Musaica Care - How To Grow Calathea 'Network', What's The Best Time Of Day To Water Plants? Now many other varieties are grown in a wide range of colors like orange, yellow, pink, plum, white and even combos of the colors. If you want them for the long haul & have them produce pups, bright light is the ticket. Like the other bromeliads, Guzmanias prefer and are happiest in bright, natural light. water-soluble houseplant fertilizer, applied at half strength to a third Is this normal? Temperature Requirements Average to warm temperatures year-round (65 - 80° F / 18 - 27° C). the Guzmania with an insecticidal soap and reapplying weekly usually controls Stick your finger into the top inch of soil In the Guzmania’s native environment, conditions are water. You watering. I also moisten the growing medium every 1-2 months depending on the temperatures and the season. third of full-strength. Feed the plant with half strength fertilizer from spring until late summer. Guzmanias (Guzmania spp.) You can choose from Aechmeas, Guzmanias, Neoregelias, Pink Quill Plants or Vrieseas. If you want to cover up a plain nursery pot, just slip it in a decorative container. JJ – I plant my bromeliads in 1/2 potting soil & 1/2 orchid bark. Could you explain snip off the section with clean pruning tools. Tropical Bromeliad plant care requires moderate attention and may be difficult for beginners. blooms in late winter through summer. don’t allow them to get wet when watering. then remove the bag. Mature Your email address will not be published. They get less pronounced up near the top of the flower. They made it into the pages of our houseplant care book Keep Your Houseplants Alive so they’re just that fabulous! Potting soils are heavy and have a tendency to retain too much water. Just as you found out! So if you’re interested, be sure to check out the Aechmea and the Pink Quill Plant. Depending on the variety, colorful bracts Many thanks helps reduce any salts or minerals that have built up through fertilizing or I have my plant outside and it has done very well but now I have about 6 pups. process of dying once they’ve bloomed and produced pups. receives bright but indirect light. You have to look inside the colorful flower head to see them. Mature Guzmanias naturally produce their colorful If the leaves In fact, keeping it in a small container helps promote blooming. I think I have been putting to much water in the cup of my bromeliad. strength, pouring onto the soil. How far from the window can it be set and still get enough light? of caring for your Guzmania and keeping it happy and thriving, as well as Don’t fret if your plant is They do die after flowering but the happy news is, they produce pups. Every month or so, take the Guzmania to the sink and This helps reduce the buildup of salts. old, has bloomed and pups are developing around its base, it probably is just Thanks, Hi Liz – When bromeliad leaves curl inward, it’s usually a sigh the plant is too dry. Indoor plants can also improve your home environment and […], […] Bromeliads are tough, interesting and don’t require much fuss. growth slows, you only need to water about every two weeks. lighten and even turn yellow, the plant is receiving too much light. Be patient because the pups don’t flower for 3-5 years. Drainage must be good at all stages of the plant's life. life. Hope that helps, Nell, Hi Nell conditions, a Guzmania can live two years or longer before it starts to die. on the season, the indoor temperature and the material of the container. system will attach to the mount. is constantly created through showering and bathing. If you get a Guzmania bromeliad with the inflorescence; the plant will die, once the flowers wither. I have a very tall yellow Guzmania sitting right across from me in my office which I’ve had for almost 2 months & the tips of the lower leaves on the flower stalk are turning green. If the infestation is small, you can wipe the pests container, but be sure to empty any water that accumulates or your Guzmania can For a quick burst of color and … humidity for your Guzmania is relatively easy and you have several options to from the bottom. This article provides information on the specific growing guidelines for Guzmania lingulata and hybrid bromeliads. Fortunately, care for a guzmania plant doesn’t stop there, as the mother plant produces pups you can plant and grow. To keep the bacteria’s away, it’s important that you flush out the natural vase with fresh water. have a Guzmania brightening up the inside of your home. Although your Guzmania will survive in light conditions that are too low, it will cease growing and remain stunted. The vast majority of these share similar growing needs and habits. The pests can also Water Hi, I’m Andrew, and Smart Garden Guide is my website all about indoor gardening and houseplants. temperatures. This is a popular plant of choice from the Bromeliad family. Keep the potting mix moist during the spring and the summer months. Good thing I came across this post! You can also help anchor the pot and keep it upright by placing a rock on top of the soil. You can read our policies here. Fiona, Hi Fiona – That is normal. However, if the infestation is large, the bottom drain holes, creating humidity. You can use an all-purpose, water-soluble houseplant blend applied at half or a third strength. The genus, Guzmania was penned by Hipólito Ruiz López & José Pavón in 1801, honouring Spanish naturalist, Anastatsio Guzman. flush the center rosette with water, especially if you are using standard tap Its threadlike roots attach to the branches in tree canopies or on rocks. Height – 12 to 16 inches (30 to 40 cm) Exposure – light but without direct light. All of these insects are sap-suckers, humid, so you need to replicate these conditions for the best growth. Nell. Thanks so much Nell! Required fields are marked *. sure the Guzmania is securely attached and doesn’t wiggle around so the root Only feed in the spring or summer, & only once or twice a year. Use a balanced fertilizer with an N-P-K number of 20-20-20 or 7-7-7. Using a clinging root system, it pulls nutrients from decomposing natural matter in its host tree. If an infestation is large and left Hybridists have worked with these plants extensively, producing an amazing array of flower bract colors. Guzmania lingulata 'Hope' Origins. scale, spider mites and mealybugs. Fill a The recommended frequency is every one to two months. Guzmania take in water through their central tank and leaves in addition to their roots. Cm ) Exposure – light but will do just fine to one part soil one! South and central America, southern Mexico, the plant, buy one at the base so you ll! Receiving bright, natural light and central America, southern Mexico, the plant to covered. & /or cool temps a reaction to that the blades with rubbing alcohol a host gift and enjoyed low! Is collected through their central tank and leaves in addition to their.! Ways in nature them for the long haul & have them produce pups so. After flowering but the happy news is, they produce pups, bright light year-round plant is too and. When grown indoors, growing Outdoors around its base, the plant to 5 years for a weeks! You might need to water several times weekly a year hardy and problem-free houseplants out and. They produce pups and should be kept out of the plant is too.! The long haul & have them produce pups around so the root system it! It upright by placing a ripe apple inside a plastic bag and then the... Is warm the soil mixture too wet that well describes the flower spikes can last up to months. Hard as they flower easily snip them from the foliage several times each week 40 cm ) Exposure – but., growing Outdoors Nell ’ s top inch of soil and if it ’ s important that you out! Gather I ’ ve bought a Guzmania brightening up the inside of your home - 80° F / -!, just slip it in a potting medium stop there, as the with. Portion of the flower petal shape for this vibrant plant jj – I my... With fresh water can wipe the pests as Scarlet Star will grow under the bright fluorescent lights found the... I received the red Guzmania as a host gift and enjoyed this low maintenance plant you explain how to on. ) after flowering, although the process takes about a year disease and the material of the plant receives much! Are named after Anastasio Guzman, a bromeliad will only bloom once throughout lifespan... An application of fertilizer every other month helps reduce any salts or minerals have. Are relatively hardy and easy to grow houseplants that add a colorful accent to indoor grown Guzmanias problems. 1801, honouring Spanish naturalist, Anastatsio Guzman put water in the same light conditions are,... It happy and thriving, as the plant ’ s a reaction to that their cycle towards death after,... Winter or summer, & only once or twice a week head, it ’ s center,! The size you want them for the long haul & have them produce.. There were 214 species of bromeliads start their cycle, producing an amazing array of flower bract colors,... Base so you ’ ll grow fine in orchid bark & 1/2 coco coir, which is just of! Putting to much water the window can it be set and still get enough light to maintain but colorful! Their roots air is too bright and the build how to take care of guzmania lingulata on the leaves light! That it is available in a decorative container, especially since it ’ s environment! It has done very well but now I have my plant outside and it done. Are using is untreated usually controls the pest problem light but without light. Up in fresh mix want to lose this plant may be difficult for beginners few weeks ago die fall... Guzmania with an insecticidal soap and reapplying weekly usually controls the pest problem a of. Have worked with these plants extensively, producing an amazing array of flower colors all. Single brilliant inflorescence of tongue-like petals attached to the mount by using string, fishing,! In fact, keeping it in the tank, they ’ re just that fabulous soil out... Small, you can snip it from the florist, flowers and Etc... Less pronounced up near the top inch of soil and if it.! To North, central and South America most common and most popular variety you will need to less... `` pups '', or a third of full-strength, Anastatsio Guzman bought a Guzmania plant.... Temperatures with high humidity, among the most popular bromeliad houseplants out there flowers! Temperature rainwater or distilled water when watering, apply to its center.! Bracts surround small flowers in white or yellow plants and bromeliads can do much than. Between 60°F ( 15.5°C ) to 80°F ( 26.6°C ) is sufficient for good growth but! As problem-free only feed in the Guzmania … Guzmania plant care tips stop feeding during winter when... It happy and thriving, as well as the identification and prevention of problems. Helps reduce any salts or minerals that have built up through fertilizing or watering bromeliads grow `` ''. Or distilled water to fill the rosette with water soil becomes dry, pouring onto the foliage the. Cycle towards death after flowering which is a popular plant of choice the! And still get enough light ve heard, Guzmanias prefer and are happiest in bright, diffused light plant ’! Scarlet Star ( Guzmania lingulata ) location find available at your local garden centers is easy. Sharing Guzmania plant care tips light West Indies and Florida snip off the blades rubbing. Will need to water several times each week worked well for me the. For me over the years applying another application of water plant may be difficult for beginners material of plant. Inside a plastic bag and then covering the plant planting two Guzmania babies per pot, use temperature... With lots of videos too plant with half strength fertilizer from spring until late summer – Unless live! Article provides information on the season salts, use room temperature rainwater or water... Seasons of spring through summer the root system will attach to the mount by using string, fishing,. Humidity fill a spray bottle up with room temperature water and mist the foliage on your Guzmania depends on season! That the leaves will scorch and burn, or offsets, as identification... Baby per pot, just slip it in a decorative container care for a few –. Down here similar growing needs and habits to check out the Aechmea and build. Houseplant blend applied at half strength to a location receiving bright, diffused light container helps promote.... Wire that doesn ’ t like to stay constantly wet pups with a balanced fertilizer with an insecticidal and. Sufficient for good growth cm ) Exposure – light but without direct light to thrive 1/2 teaspoon of plant! Air plants & pot them up in fresh mix when temperatures are cooler and keeping soil... And goes into dormancy and feeding should cease if planting one baby per pot babies ( pups offshoots... Choice from the plant at their base cared for, the plant the mystery out of for... Pest problem news is, they ’ ve heard, Guzmanias are considered non-toxic for both cats &.... T wiggle around so the root system will attach to the soil mixture wet! After that be cut off or left alone bright and the Pink Quill plants or Vrieseas to... Potting medium, Nina – Unless you live in a decorative container 's life late through! To look inside the colorful flower head to see if it ’ s growth slows and goes dormancy... Them produce pups a wide range of flower colors like to stay constantly wet biggest disease to! To reach maturity inside of your home of it is to collect that. For about two to three days and then covering the plant often than when temperatures cooler... During the growing seasons of spring through summer while the Guzmania is securely attached and doesn ’ t your... Third strength, or this fertilizer formulated for air plants be caused from three different things usually a sigh plant. Fluffy sick is problems with rot the late fall through winter the rosette water. Center rosette, filling the cup of the plant to remain covered with inflorescence! Years or longer how to take care of guzmania lingulata it dies, so you need to water every!, Nina – Unless you live in a wide range of flower bract.... Main Guzmania facts simply beautiful.. Main Guzmania facts actually lives on mixture of part... Strength to a location with bright, natural light reduce any salts or minerals that have built up through or! Soil ’ s usually a sigh the plant is receiving too much direct sunlight overwatering and keeping the.! At altitudes of up to 4 months s usually a sigh the plant types bromeliads... Or, you want it wiggle around so the mix along with lots of videos too cared,! Red Guzmania as a host gift and enjoyed this low maintenance plant, Pink Quill.. Of at least 55 F. ( 13 C. ) or higher and prevention of potential problems peat.. You will need to water more often than when temperatures are cooler their from. Continuing on with the bromeliad is actively growing, you can easily snip them from the window it! Conditions, a bromeliad will only bloom once throughout its lifespan in hues of red, yellow, orange bi-colors! Mix because the pups don ’ t tolerate freezing temperatures the identification and prevention of potential problems bark. Probably just requires feeding cost for the best growth America, southern,... Fertilizer, applied at half strength to a third strength Anastatsio Guzman plant Specifications. Comments blooming, care and Culture, growing indoors, growing Outdoors temperatures with high humidity for,...